Pitch a Story
A pitch is a focused story idea with a clear hook. The reporter must do enough preliminary research to ensure the story is solid. The reporter should be prepared to discuss:
- Why the story is of interest to our audience
- What is new or what has changed
- How the story will be told (story form)
- What images will be available
- What sources, documents or other research will be needed
- When the story will expire (no longer be valid)
Pitches can be made in the news meeting or in advance on the pitch sheet.
Students in the reporting pool must file a written pitch at least once a week. The pitch should be filed on the pitch sheet .The written pitch should be one concise sentence entered into the pitch document by 6 p.m. the night before the news meeting. The assignment editor will copy pitches into the editorial sked by 8:30 a.m. each day.
Everyone in the reporting pool should read the editorial sked, and local media, before the 9 a.m. news meeting.
Last Updated: January 11, 2019, 4:19 pm ADT