Pitch a story
A pitch is a focused story idea with a clear hook. The reporter must do enough preliminary research to ensure the story is solid. The reporter should be prepared to discuss:
- Why the story is of interest to our audience
- What is new or what has changed
- How the story will be told (story form)
- What images will be available
- What sources, documents or other research will be needed
- When the story will expire (no longer be valid)
Pitches should be added to the pitch sheet well before the morning meeting, but you can pitch during the meeting.
Do you have a “notion” or a kernel of an idea? Feel free to discuss it with anyone on the teaching staff before you file to the pitch sheet. And if you get really stuck, refer to these tips on how to come up with a notion.
Everyone should read the editorial sked, and local media, before the morning meeting.
Last Updated: October 21, 2019, 4:07 pm AST