- Google Maps
- Datawrapper regular maps and locator maps
Go to Google Maps and log in (use your own account or the Signal Editor Google account. Get password).
- Click on the hamburger menu & choose “Your Places” -> Maps -> Create Map
- Fill out a title and description for your map
- Fill out a title and description for the first layer you want to work on
- Then create placemarks and shapes to build your map content. Add text and images. Change colours and icons, as needed.
Note: you can only insert images that are already online (and have a URL). So feel free to use the image uploader within WordPress. Get the URL of the image by clicking on the image in the Media Library
- When you’re done, make your map public by sharing it
- Click the settings icon in the map info and choose “Embed on my site”
- Re-set the framing of the map, if necessary: “Set Default View” in the map settings.
- Copy the embed code and paste it into your WordPress story.
- Change the size attributes — it should be : width = 100% (so it scales for mobile) x height= 400.
Consider using the KnightLab tool StoryMap for telling geo-based stories. There’s an example in the National Post story Anatomy of a car crash: In the 11 minutes before a deadly crash, the distracted young driver sent and received 12 texts (Nov. 24, 2016)
Last Updated: October 22, 2019, 3:50 pm ADT