The Signal is the portal for online student work at the University of King’s College School of Journalism in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
We focus on producing compelling stories for the people who live, work and play in the Halifax area.
We launched The Signal in September 2015. The content is produced from September to April by students in our Bachelor of Journalism and Master of Journalism programs, and those above first year in our four-year Bachelor of Journalism Honours program.
Most of the news stories are produced by senior undergraduate students in The Signal news reporting workshops, which typically run from November to March. The workshop supervisors for the winter term are Terra Tailleur and Yvette d’Entremont (Jan. 6 to Feb. 14, 2020).
We welcome all comments.
- Our Ethical Standards
- Policy on Corrections & Requests to Alter Published Content
- Policy on Comment Moderation
- The Signal was Silver Award winners in three categories: Best Article or Series (Academic) for Take a number, Best Interactive/Infographic Story (Academic) for The memory puzzle and Best Community News Website (Media) at the 2019 Canadian Online Publishing Awards, held Jan. 9, 2020
- The Signal was the gold award winner in the Best Student Journalism category for Terms of Service at the 2018 Atlantic Journalism Awards held May 11, 2019
- The Signal was the Gold Award winner for Best Publication (Academic) AND the Gold Award winner for Best Video Content (Academic) at the 2018 Canadian Online Publishing Awards, held Nov. 15, 2018
- The Signal was the Silver Award winner for Best Interactive Story (Academic) for 904:35am at the 2018 Canadian Online Publishing Awards, held Nov. 15, 2018
- The Signal was the gold award winner in the Best Student Journalism category for 9:04:35: Remembering the Halifax Explosion at the 2017 Atlantic Journalism Awards held April 28, 2018
- The Signal Podcast team (Trent Erickson, Will Gordon, Cameron Honey, Aviva Jacob, Danielle McCreadie, Nermeen Ramadan and Jayde Tynes) was the winner in the Audio Storytelling category for What if the Halifax Explosion never happened? at the 2018 Emerge Media Awards, held March 22, 2018
- The Signal was the Gold Award winner for Best Article or Series (Academic) for Overburdened at the 2017 Canadian Online Publishing Awards, held Nov. 14, 2017
- The Signal was the Gold Award winner in the Best Academic Project category at the 2016 Canadian Online Publishing Awards, held Nov. 7, 2016
We are proud partners with Parse.ly and a member of its Young Journalist program.