July 25, 2019, 3:50 pm ADTLast Updated: July 26, 2019, 3:36 pm
- 1 cup Valhomas (smoked tuna) thinly sliced or use 1 ½ cans tuna
- ¼ cup fresh/ frozen coconut finely grated
- ½ cup onion thinly sliced
- Chilli peppers (scotch bonnet/ habanero) to taste, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 Dry red chilli toasted on the stovetop (optional)
- 1/8 tsp ginger freshly grated
- 1 tbsp lime juice freshly squeeze
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper (optional)
- 5 curry leaves thinly sliced (optional)
Directions: (Use a food preparation glove if using chilli peppers). Add salt to the onions and squeeze with your hand until translucent. Add tuna and chilli and squeeze until disintegrated in to a fine mix. Add all the other ingredients, squeeze and mix well. Make balls of about 2 centimetres in diameter.
- 2 cups flour (whole wheat/all-purpose or a mix of both)
- ¾ cup fresh/frozen coconut finely grated
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1/2 cup or a little bit more lukewarm water
(avoid making the dough sticky)
Directions: Make balls about the same size as the tuna balls. Spread the dough with your fingers, stuff with tuna, close, give it a gentle squeeze and use a rolling pin to gently flatten it out.
Preheat a pan (something you would use to make pancakes) on the stove on medium low heat. Bake the Mas-roshi on one side until golden brown, flip and repeat. Use a paper towel to hold the Mas-roshi on its edge and rotate to slightly bake the sides.
Important: It takes practice to make the perfect Mas-roshi!
Nebal’s Pasta with yogurt sauce (Ma’acarona bel laban) معكرونة باللبن
(For 5 people)
- 1 box pasta (elbow, shell, penne or whatever pasta with a groove/hole – in Lebanon they use spaghetti)
- 500g ground beef
- 1 bunch chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 medium red or yellow onion – finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp pine nuts
- Spices for beef: pinch salt, black pepper, cinnamon, mediterranean spice mix (cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, cumin, ground coriander seed, black pepper, allspice)
- 4 cups yogurt
- Water – according to desired consistency
- 2 garlic cloves – crushed
- Pinch salt
Pasta: Cook pasta according to directions on box, then drain after it’s cooked and drizzle with olive oil. Set aside to cool
Beef: Stir fry onions in canola oil until golden. Add ground beef and break it into smaller pieces. Add the spices. Fry until beef is browned
Toast pine nuts in a separate pan.
Yogurt: Whisk the yogurt until smooth. Add water to reach a medium consistency (between runny and thick) – Add slowly and whisk between additions. Add crushed garlic and salt and whisk.
Assembly: Pour yogurt over pasta. Layer beef on top of pasta. Sprinkle pine nuts and parsley. Enjoy warm or cold.
- ¾ cup of melted butter
- ½ cup of sugar
- 2 ½ cup of soft semolina (soft?)
- 3 keshta ( cream product)
- 3 tablespoons of yogurt
- 2 small spoons of baking powder
- Rose water
- Almonds or any nuts
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- Spoon of lemon
Mix all ingredients in a bowl, put them in the oven for 20-25 minutes and add the syrup later when it cools down .